Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How to use up paper scraps

At a crop a couple of weeks ago I wanted to make several cards to send as thank you's to my wonderful hostesses. I had just a little bit of paper left from my only set of Caboodle paper (I have three more packs on the way, thank goodness) and I didn't want the scraps to go to waste. I found a card pattern that would really take advantage of long thing strips of paper and set about to make almost 30 cards. The background is the same for every card:

One vanilla cream card base cut 5 1/2" by 8 1/2", folded in half
One piece of cardstock for the card front cut 5 1/2" by 4 1/4" cut from either sweet leaf, crystal blue, buttercup, vanilla cream or sorbet cardstock, whatever you have.
One strip of pattern paper 1 1/2" by 5 1/2"
One strip of pattern paper 1/2" by 5 1/2"
One strip of pattern paper 1" by 5 1/2"
One strip of pattern paper 1 3/4" by 1" cut from any of the colors mentioned above

Remember you are using your scraps up so as long as they are all from the same paper set you don't even have to think about them matching, they just automatically do. You can round two corners of the 1 3/4" by 1" piece as shown and stamped with any sentiment you like. The card front looks great with some dry embossed lines sanded or inked so feel free to do that. Glue the largest strip on the bottom, flush with the edge, the skinniest strip above it and the 1" strip above that, all lined up against each other. Now, with that basic pattern you can just go ahead and decorate any way you want. I mostly used the Gratitude stamp set but any will do. You can see that some of these are incredibly basic but still look pretty. Don't forget to put on all embellishments before attaching to card base.






















4 comments:

  1. wow!! I love this idea!! You have inspired me to make a ton of cards tomorrow!!! Very great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! Amazing what a few scraps can turn into!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute...I've been trying to come up with ways to use up my scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute...I have been looking for a way to use up my scraps. Great Idea!

    ReplyDelete