Monday, December 7, 2009

Who doesn't love Target?

I think Target is one of the best stores out there. I love that they have so many unique items and at reasonable prices. Right at the front of the store is the dollar items, now that's what I'm talking about!! I found these Mrs. Field's chocolates there for one buck and knew that I could alter the box to make them look extra special. This is the first that all my children have stopped believing so it's difficult for me to keep the magic going. Instead I decided that I will really work on the quality and not necessarily the quantity of what appears in their stockings. Altered items can really help. Covering this box with pretty paper and decorations is a cinch!

This box measures 4 by 1 3/4 by 1 inch in height. Whatever box you choose to alter, it's just a matter of adjusting the measurements that I have below to make it fit. Make sure to distress all papers in ponderosa pine ink if you like.

For this box I cut a piece 3 3/4 by 7 inches so it would wrap around the whole thing. I used Evensong paper, not your traditional holiday designs but certainly the traditional colors. I used a good coating of Tombow adhesive to the paper to make it stick to the shiny sides of the candy box.

Make sure you end the seam on the bottom of the box as to hide it. Once I'd finished this part I was disappointed at how much of the box's design still showed so I decided to wrap it the other way. Every one of my altered items, cards and scrapbooks are works in progress as I'm taking pictures and most of the time I don't know how'll they turn out so please don't think that I have all the answers. I'm a learner and experimenter just like you.

I matted the pretty flowered paper with some ponderosa pine cardstock. The box was long enough that I needed to cut a whole 12 inch strip of each, the floral is 1 1/2 inches wide with the ponderosa pine piece cut 1 3/4 inches wide. With lots of Tombows, attach them to each other then wrap them securely around the box as shown.

Now take a great stamp set like Christmas Melodies and cut out a 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 inch white square and a 1 3/4 by 1 3/4 cranberry cardstock square. Attach them together and stamp in ponderosa pine ink. Use an 1/8 inch hole punch and punch out three little holly berries and glue them onto the stamped image.

Attach that piece with lots of adhesive to the center of the top of the candy box.

Now pick a pretty cranberry colored ribbon and tie it to the side of your stamped piece to really complete the look! I know my kids will love to receive this special "wrapped" box of candy, sure they'll rip it off and ruin all my nice work but perhaps at some point they'll realize how much their mom loves them to make a $1.00 box of candy look pretty!!

No comments:

Post a Comment