Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Time to Color

I don't know about you but I always loved to color when I was younger and even sneak and do it sometimes now that I'm older. What's great about scrapbooking and stamping is that I still get to do that and I don't have to feel silly about it. The You've Got Flair stamp of the month for July is not only great for random stamping but also begs to be colored. For the card today you'll need a trimmer, a corner rounder, adhesive, off-white cardstock, scissors, petal, honey and sweet leaf cardstock and inks, the You've Got Flair stamp set, a small Just Blooms flower, purple ricrac or any ribbon of your choice,a matching brad, pop dots, a ruffled border punch, blending pens, a sponge and a texture tool, this looks like a very loose wiry sponge, see pictures below.

First up you need to choose one of the Flair stamps and the petal stamp pad and some off white cardstock (I chose off-white to match the flower). Remember yesterday when I was talking about keeping your random stamping in the form of triangles. You can especially see it here, each three shapes make a triangle.


Next fill in with the small "flower" from the set, filling up the spaces in between the other image (still using petal).

I wanted the white area filled in a bit more so I used this wiry sponge that leaves little dots that make a nice background, you will wonder how you lived without this tool once you own one.

Now it's time to color. Take your petal stamp pad and close it and squeeze the top down to the ink. When you open it back up the color will be on the inside cover, it's a "watered down" version of the ink so it's easier to control the color. Dip your pen into the ink and color away!

It doesn't matter how you color your paisley images, you can follow what I did or color it your way. The next color is honey.

Finally, fill in the rest of your coloring with sweet leaf, this is one of my favorite colors in the Close to my Heart collection.

Cut a piece of petal cardstock 8 1/2" by 5 1/2", score it and fold it in half. Using the corner rounder (you can tell I love my corner rounder) and cut off the four corners, distress (if you like). Cut a piece of honey cardstock 2 1/4" by 4" and a piece of petal cardstock the same dimensions. Use a ruffled border punch and trim off one of the long sides, distress with your sponge and petal ink. Attach to the center of the card separating the two papers by about an eighth of an inch.
Cut your paisley randomly stamped paper to 3 1/2" by 3 3/4", distress and attach to center of the honey and sweet leaf cardstock pieces.

Add ricrac next. I attached mine with tombow.

Poke your brad through the flower and attach to bottom left with a glue dot or two. You could also decorate the center of the flower with a button or sparkle instead.

Stamp the You've Got Flair sentiment on a 2 1/2" by 2" inch off white piece of cardstock, attach it to a petal cardstock you've cut 2 3/4" by 2 1/4" after distressing both pieces. Put the whole completed piece on your card and you're done! Make sure you check out the deal of the day on my website today, I'm betting it's a mystery box. My first mystery box arrives today. I'll take a picture and let you know what's in it!


2 comments: