Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Deck the Halls Christmas card

Here's another one of the cards from my workshop. I used Jingle paper on this card. When I first saw this paper in the catalog I wasn't sure I'd like it but it really looks amazing on cards and layouts so now it's a favorite. For this 5 1/2 by 4 1/4 inch card you need the following cut papers:

8 1/2 by 5 1/2 card base - white
3 x 3 square - white
3 1/4 x 3 1/4 - juniper
11 - 1 1/4 inch squares cut out of one of the pretty pattern papers from the set. I made two different looks so you can see how you can squeeze every last scrap out of this paper pack.
1 - 1 1/2 inch circle - white

Distress everything in juniper ink.

Take the squares and line them up along the bottom of the card, spacing them fairly evenly. I found that doing them in a line using the edge of the card helped me get the rest of them on straight.

Work up from the bottom, no need to put a square in the left center since it'll be covered up. Tombow adhesive works great on these.

Using the Holiday Trinkets stamp set stamp the ornament base stamp in tulip ink but stamp it off on a piece of scrap paper.

Now roll just the edges of the ornament stamp back in the tulip ink. You can see through the block to make sure you have a nice even coating of ink on the whole outside edge of the stamp.

Stamp directly on the 3 x 3 square this time. Use one of the decorating stamps on the set (there are four) to ink in tulip and stamp in the center of the ornament. Use the "string" stamp to give your ornament something to hold onto!

Use one of the decorative snowflake stamps to fill in the area around your ornament.

When I have super white paper like this I like to fill it up using this little wiry brush that comes with our texture tools set. I cannot tell you how many sets of these I have sold once I demonstrated this cool brush. Ink it up on your juniper pad and stamp it on the ornament embellishment, reinking as necessary.

It will look like this when finished, little tiny dots.

Attach to the 3 1/4 by 3 1/4 juniper cardstock.

Put this whole decoration on the left hand side of your card about 1/2 inch down from the top and side.

Now for the glitter, use a glue pen to put dots of adhesive in the center of the snowflakes then wherever you like on the ornament.

Pour prisma glitter over the glue and let set for a few minutes, especially if you used a lot like I did!

Shake it off into your craft tray.

Use the Deck the Halls sentiment on the circle in juniper ink.

Once the glitter is dry, attach the Deck the Halls piece. If you want to avoid extra postage you shouldn't use a pop dot but if it will be hand-delivered, it makes a cool look.

Here's the card using different mats and background square. Imagine what you could do!

2 comments:

  1. Cute cards. I really like the background technique with the small squares of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I saw that background idea on the CTMH boards.

    ReplyDelete