Thursday, October 22, 2009

How to use watercolor pencils

I have a confession. I have a party on Sunday and the hostess' friend wanted to learn how to use watercolor pencils, the ones we sell. Well, even though I've owned them for over a year, I had never actually tried out the pencils. What a mistake. Today I took them out and I LOVE THEM!! I made a cute little Halloween card to show you how easy they are to use. I chose some unusual paper for this particular card. This set is Caprice, Level Two paper. The card is a 3 x 3 size and here on the measurements:

6 x 3 colonial white cardstock, fold in half
3 x 3 cocoa cardstock
1 x 3 pattern paper
1/2 x 3 pattern paper
2 x 2 colonial white cardstock
2 1/4 by 2 1/4 crystal blue cardstock

Distress everything with cocoa ink.

I recently bought a Cuttlebug so that I could do some easy embossing with my card fronts. Here I embossed the 3 x 3 cocoa piece.

Doesn't this look cool? Love this machine.

Glue the 1 x 3 strip down 1/4 inch from the right of the cocoa cardstock square.

Attach the 1/2 by 3 strip to the left of that piece.

Use StazOn ink when using watercolors, it won't smear. I used the Merry Monsters set for this Halloween card, love these little guys.

Here are the watercolor pencils in honey, cocoa, and crystal blue. They look like regular colored pencils.

Scribble the pencil inside of the stamped area. You do not need to fill up the areas, make it easy on yourself, the water and blending pen will do the work.

Use a blending pen, dip it into some water and wipe off excess on the side. (Looks like I need a new uncracked bowl)!!

Paint with water (remember those old color books where you did this?) blending the watercolor pencil color around, go back for more water as needed.

Here's the colored in piece, honey on the eye, crystal blue on the body.

Attach to the crystal blue mat.

Glue onto the card front, down to the lower left, about 1/4 inch or so from side and bottom. Use a wiry brush if you like to add mini dots all over the white space.

Use a scrap piece of paper to stamp the "eek" word on, then cut it out and distress.

Attach it with a pop dot to the card front and you are done. Very cute and very simple. I think I have learned a good lesson, the watercolor pencils are now going to be a staple in my stamping.

1 comment:

  1. Cute! I just bought these (the watercolor pencils) yesterday...I can't wait to use them!

    ReplyDelete