Saturday, January 22, 2011

It's My Birthday!

I am 50 years old today and I'm pretty cool about it. I know this world is obsessed with not revealing or showing your age but each year we are on this wonderful planet should be looked at as a blessing.

I know that people always say that wisdom makes up for the things that you lost when you stop being young but I think there's something better that I've gained than wisdom.

Courage.

Yes, the cowardly lion had it right, courage is an amazing thing. I speak up now, I go for my dreams, I try new things and stand up for myself. I'm not afraid to say, "it's not good, send it back," or "wow, I would love to take guitar lessons!"

Getting older means that you understand how precious time truly is. It means that when your son comes home from school you stop typing on the computer keyboard and really look at him when he tells you about his day because there will come a time when you won't be the one he's telling. It means understanding that the crinkles around your eyes aren't a sign of aging but instead a record of every laugh you ever had.

I love turning 50, I really do. I am looking forward to the next 50 years, can you imagine how good they are going to be!

3 comments: