Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Place to Belong

When I became a stay at home mom about 12 years ago I suddenly understood why there was a women's rights revolution in the 1960's. Something happened to me that I think might have happened to other women who made the choice to stay home. I felt like I was a wife and mother, period. My days consisted of the same duties over and over, the laundry, the dishes, the never ending cleaning. I wanted to be there with my children but it sure wasn't easy.

I really seemed to lose my identity. What happened to that girl who was so quick with a joke, the one who loved hanging out with her friends, who created beautiful cross stitch pieces and wasn't afraid to drive across the country alone? At some points I felt I'd never find her again.

After giving birth to my third child I discovered scrapbooking. I found that there was a whole community out there that revolved around creating memory books. It was the equivalent of the old quilting bees and when I was out with these scrapbooking women, I was myself again. I felt talented again, I was creating these pages that I was proud of, I was even being published in magazines. I discovered I was a person separate from the wife and mother roles I'd taken on.

Now I'm not saying I don't enjoy being a wife and mother, I do, but I like me too. I didn't want to lose myself in the process of having a family. Scrapbooking allowed me to find a place where I was again just me.

Last Saturday I won the Rising Star award from Close to my Heart. When my name was announced I could hear all my fellow consultants and friends scream for me. I cannot tell you what a wonderful thing that was to experience. They are so much a part of me winning that award, I learned from each one of them and only stood because they lifted me up. There is not a better bunch of women than the ones I've met since starting with Close to my Heart. They are supportive and fun and will pick you up when you are at your lowest or celebrate with you when you're on a high. They are a safe place to fall.

This company brings out the best in all of us and I know it could do the same for you. I want you to join this incredible group of crafters and become a part of our team. I want to give you a place to belong just like the one I've found, a place where you can be yourself and better yourself. This company can change your life. That's an amazing statement but I promise you I believe it with all my heart. Are you ready to find your place? Contact me and I'll show you how.

Barbra

8 comments:

  1. omg... this made me tear up! Congratulations to you!!!!! I'm a stay-at-home mom and I sometimes feel like that too. Although when I make cards and scrapbooking I sort of feel like more than a mom, and when someone actually BUYS my cards, well for me that is a great feeling, not that seeing my kids grow and laugh isn't great, because it is, just the other stuff is just about me and what I want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the award Barbra!! The recognition is well deserved!!
    I too am a stay-at-home mom & have had a similar experience with Close to My Heart 'giving me my life back'!! I am thankful every day for having found this wonderful place to belong!! Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the Rising Star Award - I love your blog so I imagine, your energy flows even more in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbra - Congraulations on your Rising Star award - you truly deserve it!

    I'm so happy I was able to find you at Leadership! Hugs, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbra..once again C0NGRATULATIONS!!!!Your award is well deserved...I love being on the same team as you. You always inspire us, motivate us, and keep us on our toes. You have definately found your nitch with Close To My Heart. I see nothing but higher awards for you in the future my friend! Roberta Dermody (Inks Outside The Box)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What can I add? Your post made me cry too!! Geez! Love you to pieces and am so proud to call you friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristine Widtfeldt (from CTMH)August 6, 2009 at 12:59 AM

    Congratulations, Barb! Watching you win the Rising Star award was a highlight of Leadership--you absolutely DESERVE it, supersta! Wishing you continued happiness in motherhood and scrapbooking with CTMH! See you soon, we hope!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post! Your customers just have to sign up after reading that. Congratulations on your award!!

    ReplyDelete