Saturday, December 18, 2010

A Chance to Give

This has been on my sidebar but I wanted to make sure you all saw it so I'm reposting it here.

A few years back I was working as a substitute teacher and was called to a particular pre-school class in Benton Harbor frequently. I was very saddened to see that so many of the children did not have mittens. Because of our cold Michigan winters, any child who didn't have mittens had to stay inside instead of playing. The teacher did her best to help out by having a box of mismatched mittens in the classroom but there weren't enough of them. After seeing that I called up a bunch of my friends and asked them all to send me any gloves and mittens that their children had outgrown. They sent plenty and, for that class year at least, the children were all able to go out.

Though I no longer sub, I think about that school often and this year I wanted to do the same thing. My circle of friends has grown immensely due to Close to my Heart so this time I'm asking all of you to help these children out. Most of you have just experienced, and are still experiencing the first big winter storm here in Michigan. Can you imagine how cold this little children's hands are going to be this winter? Do you have any used or new mittens you'd be willing to send to help them out? If not, would you be willing to spare a dollar (which is all it takes to buy a pair of mittens these days) to allow me to buy the mittens for you?

I'm going to be posting a mitten thermometer on my blog to show our progress throughout the next 12 days. I will take all the mittens collected to one of the schools in Benton Harbor so the children will have them when they return from Christmas break. Everyone who contributes will have their first name and last initial posted on my blog under the thermometer as a thank you. I'd love to see us collect 50 pairs of mittens during these next 12 days. Below is a paypal link so that giving is only a click away. Thank you all so much!

MITTEN COLLECTION ADDRESS: FOR ACTUAL MITTENS OR TO SEND A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER, SEND TO:

BARBRA OTTEN 1247 W. JOHN BEERS ROAD, STEVENSVILLE, MI 49127






No comments:

Post a Comment