Sunday, December 19, 2010

Embarrassing Moments in Scrapbooking

It's Sunday and quiet so I was thinking it might be funny to show off some of the very first layouts I ever did over 12 years ago! I was a self-taught scrapbooker and I started with an idea to do one album for my newborn son. He was my third and, believe it or not, I did my very first layout the week after he was born. It was amazing I was awake enough to even think about crafting.

These layouts will show you that I made every beginner mistake there is! I bought all those patterned scissors and used them on everything including photos (and back then I didn't save negatives) ruining them forever. Look at the horrendous cutting on these photos. Remember all those premade pages that we thought were so easy. Just plunk your photos down and you're done. Ick.

Patchwork "quilting" pages were big back then too. What noone told me was that the pictures were supposed to be the star of the show, not the background. Poor little Sam gets totally lost on this busy paper.

Here's another look at those patterned scissors at work. Remember when we were all big on silhouetting our photos? How about those floating stickers, not "grounded" at all, just flying all over the page. I remember being so proud of this layout. It just makes me laugh now!

Can you look at this layout and not wonder if I was colorblind? Wow, sticker sneeze, bright colors, wild patterns. Is there even a child on this page? Why did I think diecuts and stickers deserved more attention than my son?

I would love to hear about and even see some of your very first pages if you're willing to share. Send me a jpeg to my email address and I'll share it on my blog. Come on, I know I'm not the only one who is embarrassed by my beginner pages. Let's all laugh together! caldreamin05@comcast.net

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I also had those scissors but I used construction paper which is now faded terribly and yes, I cut my pics 2! I would be way 2 embarrassed 2 show mine! You have a natural talent yours looks like mine after I had been doing it for awhile! I guess it's the thought of it that counts. I think we are our own worst critic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Barbra - I do have some awful ones - I won't be able to get them to you right away but I'll try to remember

    ReplyDelete