Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Awesome Pillow Box - Cricut


This is going to be a fun project.  Have you seen our new My Creations Clear Pillow Boxes?  This is the first time I did one and it was super easy!!   We're working on the Decorative Layer key today, still on page 21 of the Art Philosophy Cricut book.  If you've been following along my blog since March 1st you'll see that I'm doing a series on the Art Philosophy cartridge going one page at a time using as many of the shapes as I can in a creative way. 
 
For this project we'll be making that pretty flower on the upper right of this page in the book.  It's really my favorite shape on this page.  Cards aren't the only way to show this cartridge off.  Close to my Heart has so many different types of paper crafting materials that we're going to have a lot of fun this month.  So, for your first task, grab a pack of Later Sk8tr paper and pull out the outdoor denim cardstock.  Cut two flowers at 1 3/4 inches using one of the stamp sets that comes with the Art Philosophy cartridge,   The stamp set uses the basic shape on page 43 and it tells you what size to cut it, HOWEVER, I cut it slightly bigger because I don't have to be so super accurate with my stamping that way.  I cut it at 2 1/4 inches instead of 2 inches using lagoon paper.  You could also just cut a 2 1/4 inch square if you like too. 
 
Using Later Sk8tr paper, cut out a strip of outdoor denim cardstock 2 1/4 by 10 inches and a piece of the plaid paper in the kit 2 by 10 inches.  Distress with outdoor denim ink and fold around the still flat pillow box.  Use a strong glue because pressure will be pushing against your decoration once you put actual treats into the box.  Liquid glass or glue dots work well.  Fold the paper strip so that it overlaps in the center on the back of the box, looks neater that way.   

                                               

After making this piece it still needed something so I added a strip of silver shimmer trim.  It would be much easier to add it before attaching the following decorations so do that now.  Cut it about 10 inches too and run it over the bottom strip of outdoor denim cardstock (scroll all the way to the bottom of this post to see how it's supposed to look.  Using the "For a Special...." stamp on the Cricut stamp set, stamp it on your lagoon tag in outdoor denim ink.  Cut the zip strip from the top of the plaid paper and trim it to just say "awesome" then glue that to the left side of your box and put the stamped image on the right side, just tilted. 

 
Now add your flowers.  Don't feel you have to glue down every petal on the flower.  Just get a good glue gripping the center and that will work.

 
Add some shimmery buttons to the center of the flowers with glue dots.  Can you see the shimmer trim I mentioned before?  It wasn't easy to slip it under those flowers so make sure you took the easy way out as I instructed above.   Once you've let everything dry, fold the bottom of the box up first then add your candy until it's full and close the top of the box, notch side in first.  I actually went to the store with my box to the local Walgreens to find candy that would match perfectly, a little obsessive but, oh well!!

 
Does what I do seem like fun?  It is!   I would love to start you off on an adventure with Close to my Heart like the one I'm on.  If that sounds great to you, you can immediately sign up HERE or give me a call or email and we'll talk about how it will work for you.
Barbra (989) 906-6420  caldreamin05@comcast.net

2 comments:

  1. I love that you matched the candy wrappers to the paper! I don't find that strange at all. LOL. Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing wrong with matching your candy to your paper. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete