Saturday, March 2, 2013

Be Still and Know Card - Cricut

Today we're going to be working on the "Layer" section of the Art Philosophy cartridge book, page 21.  Yesterday we did the base shapes, the circle and flower, today we will layer over the circle shape with a "hoop" that will make the circle really pop out.   To prepare for this card, use white daisy cardstock for your circle and cut it at 3 1/4 inches.  Remember all you have to do to get the circle is to hit the first shape key on the upper right of your keyboard.  Next use black cardstock and this time, hit the layer key first and then the circle key (upper left, first key as before).  Keep the size at 3 1/4 inches. 


  
Once you've cut out your circle, it's time to stamp.  I'm using the "Be Still" stamp set.  I want to let you in on a tip about black inks by Close to my Heart.  We have two that I like a lot, first up is the black ink pad.   To me it's best for distressing and when you want a softer black look.  For actual stamping I like the Archival Black ink which I don't think a lot of people know about.   It's a very dark ink that stamps so crisply and I have taken to using it whenever I stamp.  It however does not make a good distressing agent, it has a strong chemical smell and is a bit harder to clean off stamps (although I still just use a wipey with it).   In the next two pictures you can see what I mean, the first one is with the regular black ink, the second, with Archival black.  See the difference?



Now cut some ruby cardstock 5 1/2 by 4 1/4 inches.  Cut For Always patterned paper 5 1/4 by 4 inches and distress both with the regular black ink.  Glue patterned to the ruby.


 Cut black cardstock 5 1/4 by 2 1/2 inches.  Cut ruby cardstock 5 1/4 by 2 1/4 inches and cut For Always patterned paper 5 1/4 by 2 inches.  Distress with black and layer on each other.  Glue vertically centered on the card.  Cut a piece of ruby cardstock 3 1/4 by 2 1/2 inches and another piece of For Always cardstock (you can mix and match these at will) 3 by 2 1/4 inches.  Distress and attach to each other.  Attach to card about 1/4 inch down from top and centered.


Glue your black circular frame to your circle and stamp "Be Still..." inside it using Archival Black ink.  Using 3-d foam tape attach the stamped circle piece onto the card about 1/4 inch up from bottom of card, centered.


If you know me, you know that I like to use up old supplies to make room for new products!  I found this old red ribbon that's not a Close to my Heart product but it works beautifully with this card so just simply tie a piece of red or black ribbon around the back of the card, add a little bit of adhesive to keep it in place.  Tie a bow in front.  Now attach the whole card to a card base that you cut 8 1/2 by 5 1/2 inches and folded in half and you're done! 


If you like any of the products pictured, just click on the links and check them out on my website.

1 comment: