Friday, March 1, 2013

Mother's Day Card - Cricut

I've been thrilled with both of the Close to my Heart Cricut cartridges, Art Philosophy and Artiste BUT I feel like I've barely scratched the surface when it comes to using them.   I've decided to challenge myself and hopefully you this month (and maybe beyond) by going through the cartridges page by page.   I want to make cards, scrapbook pages and paper crafts all using the cartridges beginning with Art Philosophy.  I will give you a few techniques about using the Cricut machine too because I've met so many people who have no idea what the buttons on their machines do!   I plan to venture into the world of YouTube when necessary, to help show you all the things your cartridges and machines can do.  So let's get started! 

Here's the cartridge and booklet from the Art Philosophy cartridge. 


You can see my booklet is well used (I love this cartridge!!!) so here's the first page and my goal is to really use a lot of the shapes on this page on my paper crafting.  It will test my creativity but imagine all the possibilities if I (and you) really stretch ourselves!  


I'm going to start with the first two basic shapes that are on the first key.   Here's a little video to show you what I'm talking about.

 

So, using the Claire paper packet and the Art Philosophy cartridge, here's how to make this card.  cut a card base 8 1/2 by 5 1/2 inches in white cardstock and fold in half.   Cut a card front 5 1/2 by 4 1/4 inches out of white cardstock too.   Using the patterned paper from the Claire pack, choose the floral paper and cut it 4 1/2 by 2 inches.  Cut the striped paper 1/2 by 4 1/4 inches TWICE.  Cut the denim patterned paper 2 1/2 by 4 1/4 inches. Out of the hollyhock cardstock cut a square 2 5/8 by 2 5/8 inches.  Cut outdoor denim cardstock 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches. 

For the Cricut pieces cut a white circle 1 1/4 inches.  Remember that will be the first key on your keyboard with the picture of the circle.  Now change the paper to sunset cardstock and change the size to 2 3/4 and cut TWO flowers by pushing the circle key and the shift button.  If you make sure to check your Cricut screen before cutting, you'll make less mistakes.   Now distress all pieces with outdoor denim ink if you like.


Turn card front vertically and attach the floral paper flush with top and sides first.  Add skinny striped strip of paper next keeping it flush too.  Continue on with the blue denim patterned paper and the final strip, easy!


Add your outdoor denim cardstock square to the hollyhock square and attach about an inch from the top and right hand sides of the card.


Layer the flowers onto each other turning the top one just a touch to make the flower full.  Use 3-d foam tape to attach to the center of the square.  Use your outdoor denim ink to stamp the word "mom" from the Perfect Fit - MOM stamp set onto the circle.  Attach to center of the flower.  Add three orange brads (these are retired) to the lower left of card.  Attach whole card to the card base.


I love glitter so you can prisma glitter up the word "mom" and the edge of the skinny strips of striped paper or anywhere else you want to.  Let dry then brush off and you're done!


6 comments:

  1. Wow, great job Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barbra for sharing. Looking forward to seeing some more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Barbra for sharing. Looking forward to the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited about your Cricut posts. Hoping to learn something new. Thanks Barb! Love your card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited about your Cricut posts. Hoping to learn something new. Thanks Barb...I love your card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the card. Would love to see a video of you putting it together too!

    ReplyDelete